STE/ICE BATTERY PACK TEST CARD
The BATTERY INTERNAL RESISTANCE TEST (73 or 77) evaluates the state of charge of an individual battery. The BATTERY RESISTANCE
CHANGE TEST (75 or 79) evaluates whether the battery is good or bad, even if it is discharged. A good battery that is discharged bay be discharged. A
bad battery may hold a charge for a short time.
1. The power to operate the STE/ICE VTM may be taken from the batteries being tested as shown in the appropriate figure below or from an alternate
power source (such as another vehicle's batteries).
2. Perform VTM general setup; run confidence test, and enter vehicle ID.
3. a. If power to the VTM comes from a different set of batteries than the battery pack under test, use tests 77 and 79. Connect test probe cable W2 to the
battery pack under test. Connect the red clip to the positive terminal closest to the starter. Connect the black clip to the negative terminal closest
to vehicle/equipment ground.
b. If power to the VTM comes from the battery pack under tests, use tests 73 and 75 The test probe cable W2 is not used.
4. Clamp the current probe around the positive cable connected to the starter. Point the arrow on the current probe along the cable leading towards the
starter as shown in figure 1.
1. Condition the current probe before running these tests.
2. Measure the battery resistance change by entering test number 75 or 79 (as described in the hookup procedure). Then engage the starter for about
3. Measure the battery resistance by entering test number 73 or 77 (as described in the hookup procedure). Then engage the starter for about
4. Compare the results of both measurements to limits in the vehicle/equipment TM or to limits on the reverse side of this card.
5. If either measurement is outside of normal limits, check battery terminal and connections, and check battery electrolyte level. Then perform both
measurements a second time.
6. If the battery resistance change test (75 or 79) tails after the second measurement, then the battery pack is in bad condition. Test each series pair to
determine which is good and which is bad.
7. If the battery internal resistance test (73 a 77) fails after the second measurement, then the battery should be recharged.