FUEL FILL STRAINER AND FILL CAP MAINTENANCE (continued)
7. Apply thin coating of grease (Item 23, Appendix D) to mating surfaces of breather cap (7) and fill cap (1). Install breather
cap (7) in fill cap (1).
8. Install strainer (6) in access opening. Install fill cap (1) on strainer (6).
Notify Unit maintenance if lockwashers are unserviceable.
9. Using hinged socket wrench handle and 9/16-inch socket, install access plate (2) on hull with eight screws (5),
lockwashers (4), and washers (3).
SERVICING OF BATTERIES
1. Connectors should be tight and all the way down on battery posts (refer to TM 9-6140-200-14).
2. Battery hold-downs should be tight, but not so tight as to damage battery case.
3. If bolt threads are corroded so as to prevent a tight hold, notify Unit maintenance for replacement.
4. If cables or terminals are loose or broken, notify Unit maintenance.
Lead-acid battery gases can explode. Dont smoke, have open flames, or make sparks around a
battery, especially if caps are off. If a battery is gassing, it can explode and cause injury to you.