REPAIR TENT (M577A3 ONLY) Continued
12. Center patch over damaged area on outside of tent. Turn under patch edges. Stitch in place with a row of stitching no
more than 1/8 inch (3 mm) from the edge.
13. Secure patch to tent with a second row of stitching. Place second row 3/8-1/2 inch (10-13 mm) from first row.
14. Turn material over. Cut away damaged area, notch corners, and turn edges in. Stitch turned edges to patch with a row of
stitching no more than 1/8 inch (3 mm) from the edge.
Extensive damage between seams is repaired with a seam-to-seam patch. For seam-to-seam
patch repair, do Steps 15 - 19.
15. Open seam 2 inches (5 cm) beyond damaged area on both sides.
16. Square off damaged area from seam to seam.
17. Cut patch 2 inches (5 cm) wider than squared-off section. Allow for 3/4 inch (19 mm) turn-under on sides.
18. Center patch over cutaway section. Turn sides under and reform double-felled seams at top and bottom.
19. Finish by stitching patch into place.
For webbing and reinforcement repair, do Step 20 and Step 21.
20. Install webbing and reinforcements. Machine stitch a rectangular pattern 1/8 inch (3 cm) in from the edges, a set of
stitches 1/8 inch (3 mm) in from end stitchings, and diagonal stitches from corner to corner.