PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECKS AND SERVICES (PMCS), INCLUDING
LUBRICATION INSTRUCTIONS Continued
1) Inspect inserts for cracks and stripped or damaged threads.
2) Check inserts for loose fit.
3) Inspect armor mounting inserts and hull screw holes for loose or missing plugs and setscrews, as required.
GREASE SEALS, PREFORMED PACKINGS, AND GASKETS.
1) Inspect composition seals, rings, and preformed packings for wear, brittleness, cracks, cuts, and damage.
2) Inspect lip seals for cracks, wear, cuts, and brittleness. Inspect springs and seal shells for damage.
3) Gaskets and seals on electrical parts may be reused. Inspect gaskets and seals for wear, nicks, cuts, and torn or
missing gasket material. Replace gasket, if needed.
SPLINED PARTS. Inspect splined parts for burrs, wear, twisted, cracked, or broken splines.
THREADED PARTS. Inspect all threaded parts for burrs and stripped or damaged threads.
RETAINING RINGS. Inspect retaining rings for nicks, burrs, defects, loss of tension, and wear.
SPRINGS. Inspect springs for wear, defects, breaks, and loss of tension or compression. Inspect springs using a
SHAFTS AND SPINDLES. Inspect shafts and spindles for excessive wear, binding, scores, cracks, burrs, and
obstructed oil passages.
1) Inspect electrical parts before you install them. Look for mildewed, corroded, or burned parts.
2) Inspect electrical parts for pinched or loose wires and for cracked or broken wires, circuit cards, relays, and
3) Inspect insulation and heatshrink tubing for cracks, tears, burns, or missing material.
GENERAL. General repair procedures are given in steps b through m below. Special repairs are covered in the task.
After repair, clean all parts well.
1) Replace all cracked or broken castings.
2) Repair minor damage to machined surfaces of castings with crocus cloth (WP 0928 00, Item 1). Replace any
part with defects that cannot be corrected or which will impair function.
Repair minor surface bends by working bent surface of casting across sheet of crocus cloth (WP 0928 00, Item 1)
on surface plate. Replace bent castings which would impair assembly or function.
BALL BEARINGS. See TM 9-214 for inspection and maintenance for ball bearings.
NEEDLE ROLLER BEARINGS. See TM 9-214 for inspection and maintenance of needle roller bearings.
BUSHINGS AND BUSHING-TYPE BEARINGS. Replace bushings and bushing-type bearings if they are loose,
scored, or have color change due to heat. When you replace bushings and bushing-type bearings, check nearby
parts for damage or wear.