j. INSERTS. Replace insert when threads are stripped or when insert is cracked or loose.
(1) Drill and remove damaged insert from casting.
(2) Install new insert in casting using suitable replacement tool.
k. SPLINED PARTS.
(1) Remove burrs
(2) Replace parts
from splined parts with a soft honing stone.
that are worn or have twisted, cracked, or broken splines.
Chase the threads with a used tap or die. A
new tap may cut oversize, while a new die
may cut undersize.
l. THREADED PARTS. Repair all parts that have stripped or damaged threads by chasing threads with a
used tap or die. Replace parts that cannot be repaired.
m. RETAINING RINGS.
(1) Replace retaining rings that have defects.
(2) Some retaining rings are beveled on one side. When installing this type of ring, the beveled side must
face the part to be retained.
n. SPRINGS. Discard springs that have defects. Load and height inspection data, where needed, are given in
o. SHAFTS AND SPINDLES.
(1) Replace shafts and spindles that show signs of wear, binding, scores, cracks, burrs, or clogged oil
(2) Remove obstructions with compressed air or by probing with soft wire.
(3) Remove burrs and minor surface defects with a crocus cloth (Item 17, App C).
p. ELECTRICAL PARTS.
corroded or burned parts and parts which show signs of mildew.
cracked or broken wires, circuit cards, relays, and connectors.
cracked, torn, or burned insulation and heat shrink tubing.