n. GASKETS. If gasket is being removed, scrape old gasket material and sealant off mating surface. Clean
mating surface with cleaning solvent (Item 18, App C). Dry with wiping rag item 86, App C).
All removed parts must be inspected with care. Replace parts if damage or wear exceeds allowable limits.
a. GENERAL. Procedures for inspection will be the same for most parts. General inspection procedures are
given in steps b thru q below. Special inspection procedures are covered in the task as needed.
(1) Use magnetic particle inspection equipment to check ferrous castings for cracks. Use a magnifying
glass and strong light to check nonferrous castings for cracks. Check areas next to studs, threaded
inserts, sharp corners, and fillets.
(2) Inspect all castings and forgings for breaks, cracks, and wear or scoring that would impair function.
(3) Inspect machined surfaces for nicks, burrs, and raised metal. Mark damaged areas for repair.
(4) Use straightedge to check all mounting flanges on housings and supports for bends. Inspect mating
flanges for stains which would indicate oil leakage.
(5) Inspect all threaded parts for damaged or stripped threads.
c. ROLLER AND BALL BEARINGS. Inspect bearing races for wear and color changes due to heat. See TM
9-214 for inspection procedures for ball bearings.
d. NEEDLE ROLLER BEARINGS. Inspect bearings for free and smooth rotation, and broken or missing
rollers. Also look for tightness of fit in bearing bores. Inspect bearing races for wear and color changes due
to heat. See TM 9214 for inspection procedures.
e. STUDS. Inspect all studs for stripped or damaged threads, bent or loose condition, and signs of stretching.
( 1 ) Use magnetic particle inspection equipment to check all gears for cracks.
(2) Inspect gears for burrs, wear, cracked or broken teeth, and pitting at tooth contact areas.
g. BUSHINGS AND BUSHING-TYPE BEARINGS.
(1) Check all bushings and bushingtype bearings for secure fit in casting. Check for color changes which
could mean overheating. Inspect for size, scoring, out-of-roundness, burrs, sharp edges, and signs of
(2) Check for dirt in oil holes and in bushingtype bearings. Oil holes and grooves must be clean and not