S T E / I C E B A T T E R Y S E R I E S P A I R T E S T C A R D
THE BATTERY INTERNAL RESISTANCE TEST (73 or 77) evaluates the state of charge of the battery series pair. The BATTERY RESISTANCE
CHANGE TEST (75 of 79) evaluates whether the battery is good or bad, even if it is discharged A good battery that is discharged may be recharged. A
bad battery may hold a charge for a short time.
1. The power to operate the STE/ICE VTM may be taken from the batteries being tested as shown in the appropriate figure below or from a
alternate power source (such as another vehicles batteries).
2. Perform VTM general setup, run confidence test, and enter vehicle ID.
3. Find a series pair of batteries. A battery series pair has the negative terminal of one battery connected to the positive terminal of another
battery by a cable. For example. in figures 1 and 2 below. batteries A and B are l series pair; and in figure 1 below batteries C and D are a
If power to the VTM comes from a different set of batteries than the batteries under test, use tests77 and 79 instead of tests 73 and 75 Connect
test probe cable W2 to the batteries under test. Connect the red clip to the positive terminal closest to the starter and the black clip lead to the
negative terminal closest lo the ground
II power to the VTM comes from the same set of batteries as the batteries under test. use tests 73 and 75. The test probe cable W2 is not used
5. Clamp the current probe around the cable connecting the two batteries. Point the arrow of the current probe along the cable leading towards the
negative battery terminal as shown below in figures 1 and 2 for batteries A and B.
Condition the current probe before running these tests.
2. Measure the battery resistance change by entering test number 75 or 79 (as described in the hookup procedure). Thenengage the starter for about
3 Measure battery internal resistance by entering test number 73 or 77 (as described in the hookup procedure) Then engage the starter for about
4. Compare the results of both measurements to limits in the vehicle/equipment TM or to limits on the reverse side of this card.
5 If either measurement is outside of normal limits, check battery terminals and connections. and check. battery electrolyte level. Then perform both
measurements a second time.
6. If the battery resistance change test (75 or 79) fails after the second measurement, then the battery series pair is in bad condition. Test each battery
individually to determine which is good and which is bad or replace the battery series pair.
7. II the battery internal resistance test (73 or 77) fails alter the second measurement, then the batteries should be recharged.